Thursday, August 20, 2026

Accepting the Losses

 

Pixabay
 

My nephew and friend, David Sawyer, visited me last week by phone. David is a guitarist, caricature artist, songwriter, and worship leader. He’s a good guy, and his insights are wise beyond his years.

We spoke of the losses humanity endures.

An officer shows up and shocks you out of your shoes when he hands you divorce papers. You face the death of a marriage.

How about this scenario? A woman marries, and her Identity disappears into her husband’s. Her self-worth vanishes.

What if your child dies? Parents? Spouse? Best friend? Faith?

I’ve heard of people losing their faith in God, and I can’t imagine the horror that would bring.

Health issues affect many.  As I age, I see this as part of life, but I don’t like it.

I know a family who grieves over their lost home. Another man’s business failed, and his livelihood is gone. He also suffers.

How do we handle the devastation of losing that important person, the beautiful home, failing health, or the demise of our job?

I could go on, but you get the idea. We experience changes daily. Some arrive as a total surprise, but others come gradually. When facing tragedy, we hope Superman will swoop down from his perch and fix it all up. Put it back in place.

Superman to the rescue.

Hope.


Yeah, we hope, but eventually we must accept.

I’ve experienced the typical emotions after a loss: Shock, guilt, anger, and depression.  I hoped for renewal, a miracle. These are the types of things David and I discussed.

David's Family

David’s parents both died while they were young, and now, his young wife also lives in heaven. David survives daily with these holes in his life, and so do his kids. He does what we all do when calamity knocks us to the ground. He gets up and takes one step at a time.

As David and I shared our stories, I slowly came to affirm a loss that I can’t correct. I realized that a revision of facts would not come my way.

I needed to let go and accept what I couldn’t change.

That realization brought a sense of peace.

Thank you, David.

Hints for Caregivers

1.    Share your thoughts with someone who understands.

2.    Superman is a fake character, but God is real. Ask Him for help.

3.    Get up and move. Do what you don’t want to do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment