Saturday, February 11, 2023

Sad Days Come, but Joy Returns


 


Sad days come my way.

Today is one of them.

Heartache won't forever stay,

but life is a fragile stem.

Time can bring sorrow,

And moments offer relief.

Tears soar away tomorrow,

But today I bear the grief.

--Gay N. Lewis


Here I am with Shelley on a happy day. I took this selfie three years ago.  We were waiting for the doctor to come in, and we joked about everything in his exam room.  So much fun!

Notice her bangs?  One of the ladies at the assisted living center cut them without asking my permission.  I was not a happy camper about that.

We caregivers often have people telling us how to do things.  It adds to our frustration.  I know some caregivers who have "coaches." These good-intentioned folks tell the 24/7 caregivers how to do a better job. Of course, that "coach" doesn't have a real clue about the care for a helpless one on a day and night basis, but they think they help with their instructions.

On the other hand, some give suggestions out of meanness.

The dear lady who cut Shelley's bangs thought she was helping.  She told me she fixed Shelley's hair to make her look cuter.

I smiled and bit my tongue.  A hard thing for Gay N. Lewis to do. Believe me! 

Caregivers don't need clueless coaches.

Happy days come. So do sad ones. It's life.

And these happy/sad times come also to healthy people as well as those suffering with dementia. I remind myself that situations will look differently tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment