Wednesday, October 4, 2023

A Good Day


 October 1,, 2023

Look at Shelley's sweet smile!  She is natural, no makeup. When I go, I always apply the Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream to her little face. It helps with dryness, and for some reason, her skin stays dry.

Nevertheless, people think she’s is a Barbie Doll. A teenager came to visit her grandmother, and she asked an aid, “Is she younger than me?”  The young lady who asked is eighteen.

Shelley doesn’t look like a teenager, but she definitely appears younger than she is.

When she was well, she loved makeup, and I remember the day I visited and she didn’t have any on. I laid it out for her. After gazing at the products for a bit, she said, “I don’t think I remember how to put it on.”

I applied it for her.

The day before, she knew how to gather it and apply it herself.

It amazes me how one day can make a difference with this disease.

Everyone loves her in this facility. She is a positive person, and when an aid helps her with something, she says, “I love you.”

This illness is different for each patient. Some experience violent outbreaks. So far, Shelley remains her sweet self.

 

Hints for Helping a Loved One.

 

1. Check on them often. Tell an aid or a director what your loved one needs. Shelley’s nails require a good trimming. I will text the director.

2. Enquire if the loved one is getting enough exercise. If your loved one is always sitting, ask the aid to walk them around the room and watch the progress. This helps prevent bedsores and gives strength.

3. Is the patient gaining weight or losing? Inspecting how clothes fit is a good indication of either one.


It is difficult to watch and listen. Our loved ones decline daily, but we are their spokesperson to help them have the best quality of life possible. Don’t be afraid to speak up.


No comments:

Post a Comment