Monday, February 12, 2024

Our Little Chipmonk




Images


Today is Sunday, February 11, 2024. We visited Shelley after church. We arrived around 2:30 to find her sitting in the main room with other residents. A few napped in their chairs, and a small number stared at a television. Shelley seemed oblivious to all of it.

We wheeled Shelley to her room for privacy. In certain ways, she seemed better, at least she held her head up straight. Most of the time, her head hangs to the side.  She didn’t indicate she knew us as much as she did a few days ago. But then, that’s typical for patients with dementia.

I again noticed her cheeks. They were chunky. Uh-oh! She’s pocketing food again.

The elderly develop this problem, but Shelley isn’t elderly. She has dementia, and people suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia can develop this issue.

They forget how to chew and swallow.  Can you imagine forgetting something so ingrained into your being since childhood?

Instead of chewing and swallowing, they store the food inside their cheeks like chipmunks. This is known as Dysphagia. It is dangerous and can lead to choking or aspiration pneumonia—a type of pneumonia caused by food particles inhaled into the lungs.

I have asked the attendants to brush Shelley’s teeth, and I have a note on the bathroom mirror as a reminder. Few aides do this for the residents.

I dug the food out with her toothbrush. After several attempts, I think I got it all. It isn’t a pleasant job, but it is essential. As some of the gunk came out, I gagged. However, I’m not an aide or a trained nurse. I admire those who do these tasks. When she was a baby, I cleaned the poop, and her dad helped with the throw-up.

Afterward, I sang and spoke about familiar subjects. She listened and responded with gibberish.  At one point, I quoted her favorite Scripture. “Don’t worry about anything, instead pray about everything, tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers.” Phil 4:6-7. (NLT) When I finished, she spoke aloud expressions like my quote. The prattle didn’t come out right, but the intonation and the number of words were correct. Somewhere deep in her brain, she understood.

I asked her if she’d like her dad to pray for her. He stood beside her, put his arm around her, and prayed. When he finished, she had tears in her eyes! One never knows how much she comprehends.

I gulped. We talked and sang again. Then I asked, “Do you want to go back to the living room?”

She replied, “Yes.”

We wheeled her back to her place. I watched from afar as her dad hugged her goodbye. I feared I’d break down and boo-hoo big time if I went over to hug goodbye.

We left.

And then I cried.

Helpful Hint.

1. It is okay to remind staff to do their jobs.

2, Check your loved one for chubby cheeks.

My New Book


More info on pocketing food



No comments:

Post a Comment