Saturday, December 23, 2023

Even with Dementia, Breathe in the Good and Breathe out the Bad.

 


While Shelley’s daughter, Courtney and baby Mackenzie were here from New Hampshire, we visited Shelley.

We sang, danced, and almost stood on our heads as we entertained Shelley and the baby.

At one point, Courtney said, “Breathe, Mom, breathe.” 

Courtney then said, “Mom, you used to tell me to breathe all the time.  You’d say, ‘breathe in the good and breathe out the bad.”

I don’t remember Shelley saying that phrase, but it was glued into Courtney’s memory. And it is a beneficial idiom.

Shelley has always been an optimistic, positive person. Even though she suffers in the throes of dementia, she remains sanguine. The aides love her because she is nice and pleasant.

A few patients with Alzheimer’s/dementia become angry and violent. Shelley has never acted out, and she tells the aides, “I love you.”

Alzheimer’s has not robbed her of the ability to breathe in the good and exhale the bad. Her favorite Scripture is, “Don’t worry about anything, instead pray about everything, and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers.” Phil.4:6-7. The Living Bible. 

Shelley quoted this verse to herself until the time she could no longer remember it.  Shelley always found the good in facing bad circumstances.  As an example, she told us one time, “I’m so grateful I have y’all to take care of me.” She didn’t complain about what she didn’t have, but she recognized what she does have. She can’t initiate a conversation, but she responds appropriately. I’ll say, “Do you like this place?” and she will say, “Yes, I do.”

How do we breathe in the good and out with the bad? At the end of class, my yoga instructor has us take deep breaths, hold them, and then expel them vigorously. We repeat the process. This exercise is a beautiful relaxing tool, and it lowers blood pressure.

Dr. Chrissy Whiting-Madison wrote an article in 2021 about this same topic. I know Shelley didn’t read the article or get ideas from the writer. By that year, she had lost her ability to read. However, it is a wonderful article with suggestions on how to exhale the bad and inhale the good.

 Holidays are stressful. Take a few minutes every hour to breathe. Find blessings to take into your mind. I often say as I take that deep breath, “I’m grateful for air and the ability to breathe.” When I exhale, I say, “Quit worrying." Then I inhale and say, "Someone who needs my books and articles is reading them right now.”

Helpful Hints :

Breathe.

Read the article

 Dr. Madison's Article

My New Book

 

No comments:

Post a Comment