Sunday, July 10, 2022

Falling Down

 When the phone rings and my caller ID says "Shelley's Facility," I assume the worst.

I breathe a sigh of relief if the caller is calling to tell me she needs meds or supplies.

I cringe if the caller says, "Shelley fell a few minutes ago."

Falling is becoming a common occurance. She fell three times last week. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt. No bumps or bruises.  Once they found her lying down on her back. Perhaps she just got tired and laid down.

I told you about spending three days with her in the hospital back in May, 2022. She had cracked a facial bone with that fall. 

What am I to do? How can I help her?

I want her walking. If she stops completely, she loses all mobility and could get bed sores. I've complained about her staying in her recliner, but then she falls, and I wonder, "Should she stay down?"

Here' she is in her recliner on a good day.

When she's tired, she walks leaning to the side. I suggested that they put her in the recliner when she's tired. 

It's difficult to know what is best in these circumstances. Those of us who take care of loved ones with Dementia often consult with each other about conditions and proceedures. 

We agonize over decisions. Sometimes we feel guilty. Sometimes we feel relief.

God has asked us to oversee a loved one, and it's a huge responsibility. I don't know how people do it without God's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment