Monday, May 2, 2022

Calendar: Do People Participate?


I picked up the May calendar from Shelley's facility, excuse me, community. They prefer the place called community.

The management team prints a monthly newsletter with a calendar. If Shelley's community actually did all these activities, it would be nice, but they don't, and I don't see how any community could do them all. They have something scheduled almost every 30 minutes.

Some of the residents can participate in most of these activities, but many are like my daughter, and they are passed the point of these fun moments.

I've been present at 9:00 and I've seen a lady reading to the residents from the newspaper. Most nodded off during the reading. 

The workout at 9:30 is interesting. A recording comes on and people are supposed to "workout."

I wonder who plays the game at 2:00 entitled, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"

Table Games at 5:30?  I don't think so. Most of the residents are eating at that time.

My point is this: It looks good on paper, and any perspective family would look at the calendar and say, "Wow, this place will be great for mom/dad."

I tell people to show up unexpectedly at these scheduled events to see what really takes place.

Do the aides take the residents to the activities, or do the residents even know the activities are taking place?

In Shelley's case, she doesn't know about the activities, but if I take her, or someone else does so, she is apt to sleep, or if possible, get up and wander off.

Activities are a boon to people who need memory care, especially music.  I wish the community scheduled a daily music time. Music soothes their agitation.

Sometimes they have pet therapy.  A volunteer brings her dog to visit. Most love this activity. Hooray for volunteers!

Many family members work during the day and can't pop into the community unexpectedly, and some communities require appointments. I'm blessed to have time to go at odd times during the week, and when I do, I observe what is going on with others. 

These facilities (communities) need to know someone is checking on residents.  

If a resident is injured, the community is required to call the resident's family. I once received a phone call that Shelley had fallen from her bed and had hurt her lip. I went to see about her, and then went to the director to ask for details, but the director knew nothing about it. Her staff had not mentioned the incident.

A director can't fix something broken if she doesn't know it's broken, and communication had broken down. I am certain the director made sure she knew about any future injuries.

I try to be nice and diplomatic, but those of us who have residents in communities have responsibilities to loved ones.

It is okay to execute due diligence. Investigate before you sign your loved one into a facility, and after they are there, keep the diligence up. Their safety depends upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment