Monday, April 18, 2022

A Good Day

 


My niece, Shelley’s cousin, went with me to see her yesterday. Shelley related well to her. Yay! I never know what to expect. Teresa, the cousin, is older by three years, but they were good friends as children. They hadn't seen each other in two years.

They sang songs from The Sound of Music, the ones they’d sung as kids. We all sang hymns and quoted Scripture. Dementia patients relate to music. They can recall tunes and parts of words and phrases, even when they can’t make an intelligible conversation.  We keep a radio tuned to music in Shelley's room. It soothes her. 

The three of us walked the halls singing. We even took requests!  

It was a good day.


However, between us, I was disappointed in Shelley’s appearance. Friday, the day before the cousin’s visit, I made sure the aides knew special company was coming. I asked them to dress Shelley in cute clothes and see that she looked nice.

Shelley had on the same clothes she wore two days ago. Oh sure, they matched and were clean, but she wears them often. They launder every day, but I’d like to see different items on my daughter.

They skipped washing Shelley’s hair. This saddens me, and if Shelley could, she'd tell them about it, but she can't, so  I’ll speak about it again tomorrow.

While the two visited, I checked the closet and drawers. I keep the drawers labeled. Clothes were thrown into the space willy-nilly, and the closet was a jumbled mess. I'll organize them again.

It’s a tough situation. I think most of us who have loved ones in communities feel we must be careful. We don’t want our loved ones kicked out, or not treated well when we aren’t around. I pick and choose my battles, but hair is one I always fight.

God is good. He sees and knows. He protects the helpless for us.

People are mistreated elsewhere, and I wonder why God doesn't intervene, but I also see people cared for in unexplained ways. I have no explanation for the innocents who are harmed. I wish there were no homeless or hungry folks in the world, but I'm certain God sees all conditions.

Matthew 18:10 NIV has the following words.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

All I can say is this: Woe to the person who hurts the helpless.

Waiting for God to change circumstances is not easy...for any of us, but I'm thankful for His patience and understanding. 

As a caregiver, I must keep keeping on, but I must also trust God to do what I can't.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment